How to Get In Shape On Your Own

how to get in shape on your own

Let's face it, starting a new workout regimen in the face of a divorce might be the last thing on your mind. But working out can boost your mood simply by elevating your endorphins.



There are a multitude of other benefits, and the truth is that all those quirky workout slogans really do help. So, whatever it takes to get over the initial excuses keeping you from the gym, trail, or class are worth making the effort. Pick a routine, stick with it for six weeks, and you will no doubt reap the benefits of being stronger, happier, and more clear minded! Here are the ways to commit and follow through with your goal of being in shape.

Join a Y

The best thing that ever happened to me was joining a YMCA. They are super generous with income based memberships or you can get a side job there and save a bunch on fees. The biggest benefit for me, hands down, is the on site child care. They're really accommodating and mostly friendly. When they're not 100% perfect, I'm just grateful my kids get to be around people other than me who mess up and aren't their favorite. For adults, the classes are pretty good. Some teachers are far better than others, but generally with the network there are enough people who make it worthwhile. Did I mention free wifi? If that place had a laundry facility I'd never leave.

Change it Up

Always been a swimmer? Try a new yoga class. Slide into a Zumba class from time to time. Train for a race even if you've never run before (get started with a Couch 2 5K program.) Set goals and challenge yourself. There are many women- professional athletes even- who feel they are stronger after becoming mothers. Cross train and discover strength you never imagined.

Make it a routine

To get started, follow an app or make a calendar. It may seem like it'll be second nature, but starting a routine can have a lot of roadblocks in the early days. Make a commitment and write it down. Some day you'll laugh at all your notes about the early stages and the bonus is that you will see your progress.

Enlist a buddy (or make a new one!)

Finding a workout buddy who gets you up for the early classes or holds you accountable is a special gift. Even if it's only guilt as a motivator, it's better than not going at all. It can be overwhelming to try to make a new friend in class. Just remember, all the people there have chosen to be among the living rather than streaming videos, so chances are they would be happy to make a new friend, too. Even if they are only in public for the free child care, at least you have that in common.

Add in some healthy food updates

When I first left my ex, I joked that I had just lost 200 lbs. sure, dropping all that "weight" felt awesome, but I was still sitting casually at 30 lbs above my pre-pregnancy goal. Since I started out skinny, this didn't feel that bad, but it just didn't feel like me. The problem was that I had already shifted into a healthy eating routine after the guidance of my midwife, so I had no clue how to lose weight. In high school I subsisted on hot dogs, fries, and Red Robin shakes and weighed 100 lbs. Now I drink salads and carry around a spare tire. Well, I made a commitment at the new year to lose my depression medication weight and I stuck with it. I swapped my regular cereal breakfast out for a smoothie and am down 15 pounds. I'm determined not to yoyo back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Split to Success: Fine Tuning your Life After Divorce

Where I Am Now

How do you get a rental when you have terrible credit?